On our way back from York, as we chose a more scenic route, we came across Bolton Priory. In the light of the setting sun the remains of the priory looked very impressive.
[VIDEO – due to technical problems it will be added later on; keep checking!]
In 1155 Alice de Rumilly gave the Black Canons of the Order of St. Augustine a secluded site in Bolton, where they led a quiet life until the Dissolution of their order by Henry VIII in 1539,
There were barns, granges and orchards. on the site. They even had their own mill and bakehouse, tannery and brewhouse, which gave them a kind of financial independence.
Although after 1539 the order could still function as a parish church, with time its particular parts and surrounding buildings deteriorated and the whole place fell into ruin.
It is a perfect spot for a picnic, as it seems that the whole area is cut off from the world.